Welcome Blog

Hello, and welcome to my English class Blog! My name is Jack Davis and this blog is dedicated to the exploration and analysis of the book titled Steppenwolf written by Hermann Hesse. In the following few weeks I will be posting blogs about the book in chronological order of, in my opinion, significant points within the book. At the end I will post a large Apologia about why Steppenwolf is considered to be a classical novel as well as the significance of Hermann Hesse. I eagerly await your comments.

Sunday 10 April 2011

Second Reading Response

         Just a few pages past the end of the prologue the tone completely changes from a relatively calm one to a much more sadistic and depressing one.  As the reader reads on they discover that Harry's main problem with life, is one and the same as the reason he calls himself the Steppenwolf.  I won't discuss the explanation in full because I encourage you to read the book.  The gist is that he feels he will never be an immortal (metaphoric) like Mozart or Goethe because he cannot be at ease with himself.  In his mind, he has two souls; one of a man and one of a wolf of the Steppes.  Anything that one part likes, the other repels with disgust.  Consequently he is in constant conflict with the ''bourgeois' world he lives in.  Part of him that is the man loves the bourgeoisie lifestyle, but the wolf part condemns it as stupid and dispensable.  However at the same time he believes that a prerequisite to immortality is to not care, and just laugh at everything as well as disposing of all contradictions.  As you can see, the tone of this section of the book is extremely dark and morbid.  For me, although the ideas were definitely interesting it was a struggle to get past the numerable somber subjects, especially the topic of that he will be the taker of his own life.
          The idea of the people in which he calls bourgeoisie has struck me as fascinating and perhaps truthful as well.  When Harry talks about the bourgeois he doesn't mean the Karl Marx definition of the "upper-class and wealthy", but rather anyone who lives just for momentary pleasure, hence he calls them 'pleasure-seekers'.  He talks about them as thoughtless drones who just wander through life looking for simple and unintellectual pleasures (his prime example being dancing).  What was interesting to me, was the possible application of this to modern times.  I would agree that there definitely is a substantial demographic that fits that profile; perhaps not as enthusiastic as Harry describes, but nonetheless present.  I would even go so far as to say that I, and perhaps the majority of you reading this, are in this demographic ranging from the full enthusiast to the more reluctant participant.  On a side note, I am curious to know if it is possible for adolescents in general, to not be bourgeois due to the numerous hormones and other such things compelling us to act as we do, or perhaps I am being too stereotypical.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas Jack, very reflective and analytical. You just need textual support.

    ReplyDelete